These "Chewie" chocolate Rice Krispie squares are extra gooey and so simple to make. They are made with delicious brown butter, dark chocolate and loads of mini marshmallows.
They will satisfy any chocolate craving and are so much fun, especially if you are a big fan of Star Wars!
These chocolate Rice Krispie squares are soft, "Chewie" and oh so marshmallowy. I add cocoa powder as well as melted chocolate to give it a strong chocolate flavor.
In addition to all the chocolatey goodness, I brown the butter which helps elevate all the flavors and turns this classic cereal treat into a whole new level of deliciousness.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- No bake recipe- Being a baker, I can appreciate a good no bake recipe every once in a while. These treats do not require an oven.
- Extra gooey texture- I bump up the butter and the marshmallows which makes them extra soft and gooey.
- Simple to make- The perfect treat when you're pinched for time. These bars are ready to enjoy in under 30 minutes.
- Perfect treat for your Valentine- These chocolate treats are so much fun to share with your loved ones to let them know that you "chews" them everyday!
- Kid friendly- This is a great recipe to make with your kids.
- Customizable- Decorating these bars are completely optional. They taste just as good all on their own without the additional frosting and sprinkles.
- Rice cereal- I use Original Rice Krispie cereal. You can also substitute Cocoa Rice Krispies for extra chocolate flavor.
- Butter- I use unsalted butter. It is melted and browned.
- Mini marshmallows- I prefer using the smaller marshmallows as they melt quicker.
- Mini chocolate chips- I use semi-sweet mini chocolate chips and fold them into the Rice Krispie Treats as well as sprinkle some on top.
- Vanilla extract- I use pure vanilla extract. It adds a nice sweetness.
- Chocolate frosting- You can use store bought or homemade. I use a star tip to pipe Chewbacca's bandolier.
- Decorations- You will need Wilton silver sugar pearls.
Step By Step Instructions
STEP 1: Prepare pan. Spray 8x8 pan with nonstick spray. Line the bottom and two sides with parchment paper. Spray a second time.
STEP 2: Brown butter. In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter. Once the butter melts, it will foam up a bit. Watch carefully for small brown specks to form at the bottom of the pot.
The butter will also give off a nutty aroma. Continue to brown the butter until it is a light amber color.
STEP 3: Melt Marshmallows. Once the butter is browned, mix in marshmallows, reserving 1 cup to add in at the end. Stir until the marshmallows are completely melted. Remove from the heat. Then, add salt and vanilla extract.
STEP 4: Add Rice Krispie cereal. Use a rubber spatula to fold the Rice Krispie cereal into the melted marshmallow mixture. Once it is completely coated, stir in mini chocolate chips, along with reserved marshmallows. Stir just until combined.
STEP 5: Pour mixture into the pan. Place cereal mixture into the prepared pan. Use a plastic dough scraper or your fingertips to press mixture into the pan. Sprinkle with extra mini chocolate chips.
Let set for 30 minutes before cutting. Pipe frosting for Chewbacca's bandolier. Decorate with silver sugar pearls.
Use parchment paper to line your baking dish. When the treats are cool, simply lift the two ends and place the treats onto your cutting board. This also cuts back on the mess and involves minimal clean up.
Do not use old marshmallows. Old marshmallows tend to dry out and do not melt very well. Rather, use fresh ones that are soft.
Do not crank up the heat too high. Make sure to melt your marshmallows on low heat.
Do not pack the Rice Krispie Treats into the pan. Using your fingertips or plastic dough scraper, gently press into the pan so they remain soft and gooey.
This can happen if you press them too firmly into the pan. The harder you pack them in, the more firm they will be when they are ready to eat. Also, use fresh marshmallows, not ones that have been inside your pantry several months.
Do not refrigerate these treats. The marshmallows and chocolate will get very hard. They are best kept at room temperature.
Give your hands a light coat of nonstick spray when pressing them into your pan. You can also use a plastic dough scraper.
Storing and Freezing
These chocolate Rice Krispie squares are best enjoyed the day they are made. But you can also store them inside an airtight container for up to 3 days at room temperature.
Other Disney Inspired Treats
If you decide to try this recipe, please make sure to leave a STAR RATING on the recipe card and leave a comment below. I hope you enjoy this recipe!
Chocolate Rice Krispie Squares
- ½ cup Butter unsalted
- 6 ½ cups Mini marshmallows divided
- 1 cup Mini chocolate chips plus extra to go on top
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 4 ½ cups Rice Krispies
For Chewbacca Bandolier
- Chocolate frosting store bought or homemade
- Silver sugar pearls Wilton Brand
- Spray 8x8 pan with nonstick spray. Line the bottom and two sides with parchment paper. Spray a second time.
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter. Once the butter melts, it will foam up a bit. Watch carefully for small brown specks to form at the bottom of the pot. The butter will also begin to give off a nutty aroma. Continue to brown the butter until it is a light amber color.
- Once butter is browned, mix in marshmallows, reserving 1 cup to add in at the end. Stir until the marshmallows are completely melted. Remove from the heat. Then, add salt and vanilla extract.
- Use a rubber spatula to fold the Rice Krispie cereal into the melted marshmallow mixture. Once it is completely coated, stir in mini chocolate chips, along with reserved marshmallows. Stir just until combined.
- Place cereal mixture into the prepared pan. Use a plastic dough scraper or your fingertips to press mixture into the pan.
- Sprinkle with extra mini chocolate chips. Let cool for 30 minutes before slicing.
- To decorate; pipe a small amount of chocolate frosting across the Rice Krispie square. Decorate with silver sugar pearls.