This "de Vilishly" good Red Velvet and Chocolate Chip Cheesecake is so easy to make, it is sure to become your favorite new dessert! It has a red velvet cake crust, a luscious cheesecake feeling and it's loaded with mini chocolate chips.
Tips For The Perfect Cheesecake
- Use room temperature cream cheese: Using room temperature cream cheese will help ensure a smooth and creamy cheesecake batter. I usually pull my cream cheese from the refrigerator a couple hours ahead of time. I also like to pull my eggs and sour cream out at the same time as my cream cheese.
- Do not overmix: Try to avoid over mixing your cheesecake batter. Over mixing will add more air to our batter and can cause our cheesecakes to rise too quickly and fall and crack.
- Use a water bath: The water bath creates steam and helps the cheesecake from cracking. It also helps the cheesecake bake more evenly. Use a cake pan, at least 1" bigger than your springform pan. Set your springform pan inside the cake pan before you put it in your water bath.
- Do not overbake: One thing to remember is cheesecakes are delicate. A cooked cheesecake will still be slightly jiggly in the center when you shake the pan. But the edges will be puffed and well set.
Chilling The Cheesecake
There is a 3 step process in chilling this red velvet and chocolate chip cheesecake.
- First, is when it is finished cooking in the oven. Turn off the oven and peak open the door. I let the cheesecake gradually cool down inside the oven for 30 minutes. If it cools too quickly, it can cause cracks.
- The second step is allowing it to cool down at room temperature. If you place the hot cheesecake inside the refrigerator it will completely shock it and cause it to possibly crack. Let it cool completely at room temperature before placing it in the refrigerator.
- The third and final step is to let the cheesecake have enough time inside the refrigerator to cool down and set up. I suggest letting it chill overnight. Chilling the cheesecake properly will create a dense and creamy texture.
If you are a cheesecake lover like I am, then you need to check out this Berry Cheesecake!Print
This "de Vilishy" good Red Velvet and Chocolate Chip Cheesecake recipe is one that will definitely impress. This semi homemade cheesecake has a decadent cream cheese filling with loads of mini chocolate chips and a red velvet cake crust.
- 1 box Red velvet cake mix( 1 ¾ Cups of batter for cheesecake bottom) Use the remaining batter to make cupcakes.
- 2 ½ lbs Cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups Granulated sugar
- 5 Large eggs, room temperature
- 2 Egg yolks
- ¼ cup Sour cream, room temperature
- 1 ½ tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups Mini chocolate chips
For Red Velvet Cake:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Make the red velvet cake batter according to directions on the cake mix box. Spray the bottom of springform pan with nonstick spray. Measure out 1 ¾ cups of batter and pour it into the bottom of a 9" springform pan. Bake for 15 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted. The remaining cake batter can be used to make cupcakes.
For Cheesecake Batter:
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, beat cream cheese for 2 minutes on medium speed. Add sugar and beat for an additional two minutes. Add sour cream and mix just until incorporated. Next, add eggs and egg yolks one at a time. Make sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl and give one good mix to make sure everything is incorporated. Mixture should be smooth and lump free.
- Gently fold in mini chocolate chips.
- Pour into prepared pan. Create a water bath by placing 9" springform pan inside 10" cake pan. Place the cake pan inside a roasting pan. Pour hot water inside the roasting pan halfway up the sides of the cake pan. This is a leak proof way of cooking cheesecakes. No foil and no mess!
- Bake for 60-70 minutes. The center of the cheesecake will be slightly jiggly but the sides should be puffed and set.
- Turn off oven and peak oven door open. Let cheesecake cool inside oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely at room temperature before placing it inside the refrigerator.
- Chill overnight. When ready to serve, remove from refrigerator. Use a sharp knife or off set spatula that has been dipped in hot water to run along the edge of the cheesecake. This will help loosen the cheesecake. Then release the springform pan.
- Top with fresh whipped cream and sprinkle with additional mini chocolate chips. Store inside the fridge for up to 5 days.
Keywords: cheesecake recipe, chocolate chip cheesecake, red velvet cheesecake