This patriotic triple berry pie recipe is made with just a few simple ingredients. Loaded with fresh berries and has the most flakiest butter crust.
Don't forget the vanilla ice cream because a la mode is the way to go.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS
- Easy to make- These pies are so easy to make with just a few ingredients.
- Fresh berries- This triple berry pie recipe is loaded with fresh berries and a perfect way to enjoy the summer fruit.
- Buttery crust- Using real butter in this crust makes the most flakiest pie dough.
TIPS FOR MAKING FLAKY PIE DOUGH
- Make sure to always start with chilled butter. I make sure to chill my butter so that it maintains some of its integrity once it's mixed in with the other ingredients. This will give you the most flakiest and delicious pie crust.
- Do not over mix. Your dough should resemble coarse cornmeal with a few large chunks of butter. As the pie bakes in the oven, the butter creates steam and tiny little air pockets form.
- Hold the water. Start with using the minimum amount of water listed in the recipe. Add just enough water so the dough holds together when you pinch your fingers together.
- Weigh out the dough. Typically for a 9" pie, I weight out 10 oz. For the individual pies, 5oz. Gently knead the dough together and form it into a flat disk, about 1" thick.
- Chill dough. Place dough inside the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. If it's a hot day, you might want to chill the dough a little longer.
- Roll Dough. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for 30-40 minutes. Roll dough onto a well-floured surface and make sure to turn the dough a quarter turn after each pass.
- Pie Shell. Once you place the dough into the aluminium pie pan, do not stretch the dough. Instead, let the dough naturally fall and press gently along the sides of the pan.
- Refrigerate Pie Shell. Once you are finished lining the pie pan, cover lightly with a sheet of plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Bake. Make sure to bake your pie until it is a nice golden brown. If the pie is not cooked through, it will taste gummy and doughy.
CAN I FREEZE PIE DOUGH
Pie dough is great when kept inside the freezer. I usually prepare a big batch and wrap the disks in plastic wrap and place them inside a Ziploc freezer bag for extra freshness.
Sometimes if I'm rolling out dough, I will roll out extra and have the pie shells ready to go in the freezer. When you're ready to use them, just defrost them inside the refrigerator overnight.Print
This easy triple berry pie recipe is a fun way to show your patriotic spirit. Loaded with a trio of berries and baked inside the most flakiest pie crust. Don't forget the vanilla ice cream because it's the absolute best way to enjoy this pie.
For Pie Crust:
- 8 oz Unsalted butter, cold and cut in small cubes
- 13 oz All purpose flour
- ¼ cup Granulated sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- ¼ cup Ice water (start with ¼ cup and add more if necessary, 1 Tbsp at a time).
For Berry Filling:
- 2 lbs mixed berries (strawberries, blueberries and blackberries), frozen or fresh
- ½ cup Granulated sugar
- ¼ cup All purpose flour
- 1 tsp Ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp Lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp Fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp butter (top off pies)
- Egg wash (1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water)
- Granulated sugar for crust and stars
Cut up cold butter into small cubes and place inside refrigerator or freezer until ready to use. Next, combine flour, sugar, salt and butter inside mixing bowl of electric mixer. Using a paddle attachment, mix on low speed until mixture becomes coarse and you have pea size lumps of butter throughout. Slowly add cold ice water. Mix just until dough begins to form and come together. If needed, add additional water 1 tablespoon at a time.
Remove dough from bowl and weigh out 5 oz balls for mini individual pies. With hands, fold dough onto itself and flatten into a disk, about 1" thick. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours or overnight.
Remove dough from refrigerator and bring to room temperature for about 30 minutes. The dough should be pliable and easy to roll and work with, but not overly soft. Roll dough onto a well-floured surface, about ¼" thick. Make sure after each roll, you give your dough a quarter turn, about 90 degrees. This will ensure a nice rounded shape.
Place dough into pie tin and press down and along the sides. Try not to pull or stretch the dough. Instead let it just fall in place and then continue to press. Trim any overhang and use leftover scraps for the punched out stars. Place pie shells and punched out stars inside the refrigerator and let chill for 1 hour.
To make the filling, combine berries, sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, lemon zest and lemon juice inside medium size bowl. Mix until berries are evenly coated.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove pie shells from the refrigerator and fill with berry mixture. Top each with a dollop of butter. Place cut out stars onto a separate parchment lined sheet pan. Brush crust and stars with egg wash. Sprinkle with granulated sugar.
Place pies and stars inside oven and bake pies for 40-45 minutes or until berry mixture is bubbling. The stars will take less time, about 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Remove pies from oven and top with baked stars. Serve pies at room temperature with vanilla ice cream.
Keywords: pie dough, triple berry pie, berry pie