All the delicious flavors of your favorite Chinese takeout appetizer combined inside one bowl. Inside Out Egg Roll Bowl is made with seasoned ground chicken, crisp veggies and tossed in a flavorful sauce. It's low-carb, easy to make and 100% satisfying.
This Asian-inspired Inside Out Egg Roll Bowl tastes just like your favorite egg roll, without the wrapper and hassle of deep-frying. It's the perfect stir-fry when you're craving takeout. Most of the ingredients are easily accessible, everything is cooked in one pan and clean up is a breeze!
Why You'll Love This Deconstructed Egg Roll Bowl
- Tastes like an egg roll- Everything you love about egg rolls served in a bowl. You won't even miss the wrapper or the extra calories, I promise!
- Healthy and low carb- This egg roll bowl is loaded with lots of lean meat, crunchy vegetables and a delicious savory umami sauce.
- Easy to make- This recipe uses simple ingredients and comes together in just 30 minutes.
- Prep ahead friendly- You can prep all the veggies and sauce ahead of time and store inside the refrigerator until you're ready to cook. Perfect meal for busy weeknights.
- Hot mustard sauce- I don't know about you but I love hot mustard with my egg rolls. Just a little drizzle on top really completes this bowl.
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, scroll down to the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- Ground chicken- Typically, egg rolls are made with ground pork, but to make this recipe extra healthy, I use ground chicken.
- Cabbage- I use green cabbage and shred it by hand with a sharp knife. You can use a food processor.
- Carrots- Adds a nice sweetness and pop of color. To make things easy, I buy them pre-shredded
- Yellow onion- Adds great flavor to the mixture. Make sure to finely chop your onion.
- Garlic- Use fresh garlic for the best flavor.
- Ginger- I use fresh ginger root. Make sure to peel the skin off and chop very fine.
- Green onions- I use both the white and green potion of the scallion.
- Soy sauce- Use reduced soy sauce to help control the salt.
- Rice wine- Not to be confused with rice wine vinegar. Rice wine elevates all the flavors and adds a nice sweetness.
- Sesame Oil- Adds a beautiful nuttiness to this dish. Just a small amount enhances all the flavors. Use this sparingly as it can be overwhelming if you add too much.
- Mustard Powder- I use Coleman's Mustard Powder.
- Oil- I use a neutral oil in this recipe, such as canola or vegetable.
- Rice vinegar- Adds a sweet and tangy flavor to the sauce.
- White pepper (optional)- This has a very distinct flavor. Either you love it or hate it.
Ingredient Note Substitutions
- Meat- Although I use ground chicken for this recipe, you can also use ground pork, beef, or turkey.
- Veggies- If you're crunched for time, you can use cabbage slaw mix or even broccoli slaw mix. Celery, mushrooms and beans spouts are also great additions.
Step By Step Instructions - Egg Roll Skillet
STEP 1: Cook the chicken. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add ground chicken, stirring, until no longer pink. Then, drain and return meat to the pan.
STEP 2: Add aromatics. Next, add the onions, garlic and ginger, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
STEP 3: Add the liquid. Stir in the rice wine, 1 tablespoon soy sauce and sesame oil and cook for 1 additional minute.
STEP 4: Combine vegetables. Add the cabbage and shredded carrots. Cook for 2-3 minutes; stirring occasionally until the veggies are tender and slightly wilted. Then, finish with 1 tablespoon of soy sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
STEP 5: Serve. Stir in green onions. Then, divide into bowls and garnish with fried wonton strips (optional).
STEP 6: Make hot mustard. Combine mustard powder and hot water. Then, whisk in oil, vinegar, sugar, salt and white pepper. Cover and let steep for 10-15 minutes. Adjust consistency if needed, by adding more water.
What To Serve with Egg Roll Bowls
- For a low-carb meal, it’s delicious all on its own
- Jasmine or brown rice
- Pickled cucumbers
- Cauliflower rice
- Fried wonton strips
If you don't have time to cut the cabbage by hand, use coleslaw mix. You can also shred the cabbage and carrots with a food processor.
Make sure to use a large sauté pan. You want a large surface area so the vegetables make direct contact with the pan and cook quickly.
To achieve the desired texture and flavor, it’s important to sauté the vegetables over high or medium-high heat. This will help them cook quickly and evenly, while preventing them from steaming and turning mushy.
Use toasted sesame oil to add even more flavor to this dish.
This egg roll skillet tastes delicious all on its own or with my hot mustard sauce. Feel free to experiment with other sauces or condiments such as chili oil, sriracha, or sweet and sour sauce.
Egg roll bowls are an excellent way to cut back on fat and calories but still have the same delicious flavors you find in the fried version.
Yes, you can. Prep the veggies and store inside the refrigerator. You can also cook the meat in advance and when ready, combine with veggies so everything is fresh and crisp.
Absolutely! Scramble your eggs and set them aside. I suggest 2-3 eggs for this recipe. Once you finish sautéing your vegetables, add the eggs back in and mix together until combined.
Yes, egg roll bowls are the best re-heatable meal. They are also perfect for meal prepping.
- Make it vegetarian. Skip the meat and use strictly veggies, tofu, edamames or lentils.
- Use different veggies. Swap out the cabbage and use broccoli, red bell peppers or kale.
- Add some heat. Add a drizzle of my spicy mayo on top for a little extra kick.
- Top with toasted sesame seeds.
- Serve with soft boiled eggs for extra protein.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
Here's what you will need to make this recipe.
- Food processor or sharp chef knife
- Large skillet or non-stick sauté pan
- Wooden spoon
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring spoons
Storing and Reheating
This Inside Out Egg Roll Bowl can be stored in an airtight container and kept in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
You can easily reheat this dish in the microwave for 1-2 minutes minutes or until heated through. Alternatively, you could also reheat the recipe in a skillet on the stovetop over medium heat until warmed through.
More Fast and Easy Recipes To Try
Try These Asian Inspired Recipes Too!
- Crab Rangoon Egg Rolls
- Ahi Tuna Nachos
- Spicy Salmon Sushi Bake
- Vegan Rice Paper Rolls
- Bulgogi Fried Rice
Inside Out Egg Roll Bowl
Inside Out Egg Roll Bowl
- 2 tablespoon Canola oil
- 1 lb Ground chicken
- ½ Yellow onion chopped small
- 2 teaspoon Fresh ginger minced
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 11 oz Green cabbage, about ½ head small cabbage shredded
- 2 cups Shredded carrots
- 4 Green onions sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon Rice wine
- 2 tablespoon Soy sauce divided
- 2 teaspoon Toasted sesame oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon Coleman's mustard powder
- 2 teaspoon Hot water
- ½ teaspoon Canola oil
- 1 ½ teaspoon Rice vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon White granulated sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon White pepper
- pinch Salt
Inside Out Egg Roll Bowl
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add ground chicken, stirring, until no longer pink. Then, drain and return meat to the pan.
- Next, add the onions, garlic and ginger, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Stir in the rice wine, 1 tablespoon soy sauce and sesame oil and cook for 1 additional minute.
- Add the cabbage and shredded carrots. Cook for 2-3 minutes; stirring occasionally until the veggies are tender and slightly wilted. Finish with 1 tablespoon of soy sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in green onions. Then, divide into bowls and garnish with fried wonton strips (optional).
- Combine mustard powder and hot water. Then, whisk in oil, vinegar, sugar, salt and white pepper. Cover and let steep for 10-15 minutes. Adjust consistency if needed, by adding more water. Serve alongside egg roll bowl.