Jalapeno popper wontons are scrumptious littles bites filled with tangy cream cheese, sour cream, gooey cheddar cheese, crispy bacon and spicy jalapeño peppers.
These jalapeno popper wontons are the perfect party appetizer. They have everything you love about jalapeño poppers served in crispy wonton cups. Ready in 30 minutes, these delicious bites of goodness will be a hit at your next gathering!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Bold flavors- If you are a fan of jalapeño poppers, you will go nuts over this delicious twist. Although small, these wonton cups have big bite. They are creamy, cheesy, spicy and loaded with so much flavor.
- Easy to make- Made with simple ingredients, many of them you might already have inside your refrigerator. The best part is you get all the flavors of jalapeño poppers without having to clean and stuff jalapeños.
- Make ahead- You can make the filling several days in advance. This not only saves time but also allows the ingredients to meld together. Just fill your wonton cups when you're ready to bake.
- Perfect for parties- These wonton cups are the perfect bite-sized appetizer for your next gathering. Serve them on game day, holidays or bring them to your next potluck.
- Jalapeños- Choose peppers that have a smooth bright green surface. Cut the peppers in half and remove the ribs and seeds for a mild heat. Then, slice the peppers into thin strips and then finely dice.
- Wonton wrappers- You can find these in the produce section at your local grocery store. These wrappers are traditionally used for potstickers and dumplings but crisp up when they are baked inside the oven.
- Cream cheese- Use full fat cream cheese for the best texture and flavor. Pull the cream cheese from the refrigerator 1-2 hours before mixing.
- Cheddar cheese- I love the flavor of sharp cheddar cheese. I like to hand grate my cheese but you can also use pre shredded cheese.
- Sour cream- You can use full fat or low fat.
- Garlic- I use 1 fresh clove of garlic. You can also substitute ⅛ teaspoon of garlic powder if that's all you have on hand.
- Bacon- Use regular or thick sliced bacon. For this recipe, I used applewood smoked bacon.
- Green onions- I use both the green and white portion of the scallions. This adds a subtle onion flavor to the filing.
Step By Step Instructions
STEP 1: Prepare wonton cups. Lightly grease cupcake pan with oil or nonstick cooking spray. Then, press wonton wrapper into each cupcake cup. To make the wonton wrappers extra crispy, brush the bottoms and sides of the wrapper with oil.
STEP 2: Pre-bake wonton cups. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake the wonton cups for 6-8 minutes until they begin to turn a light golden brown.
STEP 3: Make the filling. In a medium size bowl, combine softened cream cheese, cheddar cheese, sour cream, garlic, jalapeños, bacon, green onions and salt and pepper. Mix until well combined.
STEP 4: Fill the wonton cups. Using a spoon or small ice cream scoop, portion the filling into each wonton cup. Top with the reserved bacon and cheddar cheese.
STEP 5: Bake wontons. Return pan to the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes until the edges are golden and the filling is hot and melted. Then, remove the pan from the oven and let sit for a few minutes before handling.
Garnish with sliced jalapeño peppers. Serve warm and enjoy!
Use a shot glass to gently press the wonton wrappers into the muffin pan. This will give you the perfect cup and a flat base for the filling.
For extra crispy wontons, brush the inside of the muffin cups as well as the wonton wrappers with oil. You can also use nonstick cooking spray.
If you like spice, leave some of the seeds and ribs of the jalapeño. This is where the heat comes from. Make sure to wear gloves and avoid touching your face and eyes.
Bring the cream cheese to room temperature. Softened cream cheese will whip up more smoothly and easier. If you are short on time, unwrap the cream cheese and place it inside the microwave for 15-20 seconds until softened.
Yes, you can! You can cook the bacon, shred the cheese and dice the jalapeños, garlic and green onions. You can even combine the filling and refrigerate it overnight. Another option is pre-baking the wonton cups ahead of time. When you're ready to serve, just fill and bake as directed.
Simply omit the bacon. Add diced red bell peppers for some color and crunch. You can also use a combination of cheeses like pepper jack, parmesan or mozzarella cheese.
Capsaicin is primarily found in the membrane and ribs of the jalapeño pepper. Keep these intact along with the seeds to give your filling a little extra spice.
Storage and Reheating
These jalapeno popper wontons are best enjoyed right out of the oven. If you have any leftovers, store them inside an airtight container once they have completely cooled. Refrigerate for up to 3 days.
To reheat in the oven, place them onto a baking sheet and bake at 350° for 10 minutes until crisp and warmed through.
Alternatively, you can reheat them inside the air fryer at 325° for 8-10 minutes.
Other Easy Appetizer Recipes To Try
If you decide to try this recipe, please make sure to leave a STAR RATING on the recipe card and leave a comment below. I hope you enjoy this recipe!
Jalapeno Popper Wontons
- 12 sheets Wonton wrappers
- 8 oz Cream cheese softened
- ¼ cup Sour cream
- 3 Jalapeños, plus more for topping deseeded and finely minced
- 1 Garlic clove finely minced
- ¼ cup Green onions sliced thin
- 8 oz Bacon, plus more for topping cooked and finely chopped
- ½ cup Sharp cheddar cheese, plus more for topping shredded
- Oil/nonstick cooking spray for greasing pan
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lightly grease cupcake pan with oil or nonstick cooking spray. Then, press wonton wrapper into each cupcake cup. To make the wonton wrappers extra crispy, brush the bottoms and sides of the wrapper with oil.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake the wonton cups for 6-8 minutes until they begin to turn a light golden brown.
- In a medium size bowl, combine softened cream cheese, cheddar cheese, sour cream, garlic, jalapeños, bacon, green onions and salt and pepper. Mix until well combined.
- Using a spoon or small ice cream scoop, portion the filling into each wonton cup. Top with the reserved bacon and cheddar cheese.
- Return pan to the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes until the edges are golden and the filling is hot and melted. Then, remove the pan from the oven and let sit for a few minutes before handling.
- Garnish with sliced jalapeño peppers. Serve warm and enjoy!