These M&M Rice Krispie Treats are so easy to make and are loaded with mini chocolate M&M's. They have lots of brown butter and extra marshmallows which make them so gooey and delicious.
These M&M Rice Krispie Treats are the best Rice Krispie Treats I've ever had. For this recipe, I add brown butter, lots of it. I also add pure vanilla extract and extra marshmallows, which I stir in at the end for extra gooeyness.
These Rice Krispie Treats are topped with mini chocolate M&M's, drizzled with melted chocolate and topped with homemade Mickey shaped chocolate chips. They are the ultimate treat for kids and adults!
Why This Recipe Works
- Extra gooey marshmallow. These cereal treats have lots of melted marshmallow inside of them as well as some extra that I toss in at the end which makes them even more chewy.
- Mini chocolate M&M's. This recipe has loads of chocolate M&M's and will satisfy any chocolate craving.
- Mickey shaped chocolate chips. Add some Disney magic to these treats by making your very own chocolate chips with this Mickey shaped mold.
- Easy to make. These treats are quick and easy to make. The kiddos will enjoy helping too!
- No bake. You can leave the oven off for this recipe.
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, scroll down to the recipe card.
- Unsalted Butter- I melt and brown the butter.
- Mini Marshmallows- I use one full 16oz bag which I melt and leave some whole to add at the end. Do not use the large size marshmallows as they take longer to melt.
- Vanilla Extract- Use pure vanilla for the best flavor.
- Rice Krispies- I prefer to use Kellogg's Rice Krispies cereal since it holds up very well to the melted butter and marshmallows.
- Mini M&M's- Use mini chocolate M&M's for lots of color and yummy crunch in every bite.
- Chocolate chips- I use semi-sweet chocolate which I melt and drizzle on top as well as make homemade Mickey shaped chocolate chips.
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make these delicious Rice Krispie Treats. For this recipe, you will need a 9X9 square baking dish.
STEP 1: Make Mickey chocolate chips (optional). Place ½ cup chocolate chips inside a heat-proof bowl and microwave in 30 second increments until chocolate is smooth and melted.
Pour into Ziplock bag and cut off one end with scissors. Pipe melted chocolate into silicone mold. Refrigerate until hardened.
STEP 2: Brown butter. In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Continue to cook the butter until little brown specks begin to settle at the bottom of the pan and the butter turns a light amber color.
STEP 3: Melt the marshmallows. Reduce the heat to low and add all but 1 cup of marshmallows to the brown butter. Stir until completely melted.
STEP 4: Add rice cereal. Remove pan from heat and add vanilla, Rice Krispies cereal, pinch of salt and 1 cup of marshmallows. Gently stir until combined.
STEP 5: Pour mixture. With a spatula, pour mixture into prepared baking dish. Press gently with finger tips until completely spread out.
STEP 6: Top marshmallow treats. Melt the remaining chocolate chips to drizzle on top. Sprinkle with mini M&M's. Let cool for 30 minutes before adding Mickey shaped chocolate chips. Allow to set for an additional 30 minutes before slicing.
- Line your baking dish with parchment paper so you won't have to worry about your bars sticking to the pan. Use binder paper clips to help your parchment paper stay in place.
- Do not press your cereal bars too firmly. You want to lightly pack them inside the pan so they remain soft and chewy.
- Use pure vanilla extract, not imitation, to give your treats an extra boost of flavor.
- When you're pressing them into your pan, spray your hands and spatula with nonstick spray to help with the stickiness.
More Rice Krispie Treat Flavors
Don't just stop at M&M's, here are some additional toppings that you can use:
- Reese's peanut butter cup
- White chocolate drizzle
- Rainbow sprinkles
- Caramel drizzle
- Chopped oreos
- Honey roasted peanuts
Your Rice Krispie Treats could be hard because you pressed them too firmly inside your pan. The more you press, the harder they will be when they come out. Instead, gently press them into the pan so they will be soft and chewy when you're ready to slice them.
DO NOT refrigerate Rice Krispie Treats. The marshmallow will harden inside the refrigerator. Store them at room temperature for the best texture.
Yes, you can use a 13x9 pan instead of a square dish. But just know they will be thinner.
Store these M&M Rice Krispie Treats inside an airtight container at room temperature. Store for up to 2 days.
Other Dessert Recipes To Try
Loaded M&M Rice Krispie Treats
- 7 tablespoon Butter unsalted
- 16 oz Marshmallows mini, divided
- 6 cups Rice Cereal
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- Pinch Salt
- ¾ cup M&M mini
- ¾ cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips divided
Mickey Shaped Chocolate Chips
- Place ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips inside heat-proof bowl and microwave in 30 second increments until smooth and completely melted. Place melted chocolate inside Ziplock bag or small piping bag. Cut end of bag and pipe chocolate into silicone mold. Refrigerate until hardened. Remove chocolate chips from mold and place onto a parchment lined sheet pan until ready to use.
M&M Rice Krispie Treats
- Spray a 9x9 baking pan with nonstick spray. Line with parchment paper and secure with binder clips to prevent paper from moving. Spray again with nonstick spray.
- Heat butter inside a large pan. Cook on medium heat until butter begins to brown and turns a light amber color. Milk solids will begin to separate and settle at the bottom of the pan.
- Add all but 1 cup of mini marshmallows. Reduce heat to low and stir marshmallows until completely melted.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla extract and a pinch of salt. Add rice cereal and the remaining 1 cup of mini marshmallows. Gently stir until combined.
- Pour into prepared baking dish. Gently press with your fingers tips or spatula until completely spread out.
- Melt remaining ¼ cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips inside the microwave. Heat in 30 second increments until smooth and completely melted. Drizzle or pipe on top of cereal bars. Sprinkle mini chocolate M&M's on top. Allow to set for 1 hour at room temperature.
- Slice into squares and garnish with a few Mickey shaped chocolate chips (optional).