This one-bowl, make ahead Mandarin orange Jello salad is filled with the refreshing flavors of orange and pineapple. But it also contains a surprise ingredient, cottage cheese.
Despite the fact that this sounds strange, all I can say is, it just works! It's the perfect dish to bring to family barbeques or picnics at the park.
During my recent trip to Epcot in Orlando, Florida, I fell in love with the cutest little Orange Bird. My mind began to think of fun and yummy recipes to create once I returned home.
Because we have a tree full of Mandarin oranges in our backyard, I thought this salad would be the perfect dessert to honor this adorable character.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS
- Easy to make- This Mandarin Orange Jello Salad is made by incorporating all the ingredients in one bowl.
- Crushed pineapple- Pineapple pairs perfectly with the orange flavored Jello.
- Individual servings- It's the perfect dessert to serve in individual cups or ramekins
- Cottage cheese- Super healthy and a secret ingredient in this recipe.
- Orange Flavored Jello
- Crushed Pineapple
- Canned Mandarin Oranges, drained
- Cottage Cheese (small curd, it makes a big difference)
- Whipped Topping, thawed
I'm always looking for fun and creative ways to serve the food I make. Depending on the event, sometimes it will be family style, other times, I like to serve things in their own individual cup or dish.
Here are a couple of ways I recommend serving this Mandarin orange Jello salad.
- Family Style: There's just something I love about serving dishes family style and watching my family load up their plates and come back for more. This salad looks beautiful when it's served in a large clear glass bowl or white ceramic casserole dish. If you're planning to travel, choose a container that comes with a lid for easy transport.
- Individual Ramekins: I love serving desserts inside ramekins. They are the perfect size and hold the right amount for single servings.
- Orange Cups: First, slice the orange in half, about ⅔ of the way up. Second, hollow out the flesh with a sharp knife, making sure to cut at an angle so that you do not cut through the bottom. Scoop out excess with a spoon if necessary. I like to garnish each orange cup with a Maraschino cherry, orange segments, fresh mint and a sprinkling of orange zest.
OTHER SIMPLE RECIPES TO TRYPrint
The refreshing flavors of orange and pineapple make this Mandarin orange Jello salad the perfect side dish or dessert. It contains only 6 ingredients and is ready in less than 10 minutes.
- 1-15oz can Mandarin oranges, drained
- ¾ cups Crushed pineapple, drained
- 3 oz Orange flavored Jello
- 12 oz Cottage cheese, small curd
- 8 oz Whipped topping (Cool Whip), thawed
- 1 cup Marshmallows, small
- Inside a medium size bowl, mix together Mandarin oranges, pineapple, and orange Jello powder until Jello is dissolved.
- Add cottage cheese and mix well.
- Fold in whipped topping and mix until evenly incorporated.
- Lastly, add marshmallows.
- Serve inside dessert bowl or hollow out halved oranges and fill inside cavity.
- Garnish with orange segments, Maraschino cherries and fresh mint tips.
- Refrigerate until serving.
Keywords: jello, jello salad, orange jello