This Maple Pecan Pie with cranberries is not your average Thanksgiving pie. I use maple syrup, dark brown sugar and a sprinkling of fresh cranberries. It has a rich, sticky pecan filling and is baked inside a buttery pie crust.
If there's one thing I enjoy making, it is homemade pie. I cannot tell you how many pies I have made in my life, but this Maple Pecan Pie is on the top of my list.
Especially, since I love maple syrup and pairing it with cranberries makes this normally over sweet dessert, perfectly balanced. I guarantee your guests will rave about this incredible dessert combination.
What Makes This Recipe So Good
- Maple Syrup is not only good for breakfast but it makes the most amazing pie filling. The rich, robust flavor and color of maple syrup adds the perfect amount of sweetness.
- Brown Sugar instead of white sugar adds a great molasses flavor to this Maple Pecan Pie.
- Pecans have a high oil content and really give this pie a sweet nutty and buttery flavor.
- Fresh Cranberries are so festive and have such a vibrant color. Not only are they beautiful, but they also help balance out the sweetness in this pie.
- Salt is a key ingredient in this recipe. Pecan pie is notoriously known as being overly sweet. By adding a little bit of salt, once again, we are cutting back the sweetness.
How To Freeze Pecan Pie
Yup! I said it, you can absolutely freeze this pie. Pecan pies have a lower water content than fruit pies which makes freezing easy peasy. It also has a high fat and sugar content, when combined with butter helps keep this pie moist when frozen.
Once you bake your pecan pie, let it completely cool at room temperature. Tightly wrap in a couple layers of plastic wrap and freeze a couple weeks before the big day.
Thaw overnight inside the refrigerator and allow pie to come to room temperature before serving.
If you are a pie lover, make sure to check out my Easy Triple Berry Pie Recipe. In this recipe, you will find my never fail, homemade pie crust recipe, which I use for all of my pies.Print
This Maple Pecan Pie with Cranberries is made with pure maple syrup, dark brown sugar and speckled with fresh cranberries. It has the perfect balance of sweet and tart and is the best dessert to serve at Thanksgiving dinner.
- Homemade Pie Crust (Follow steps 1-3)
- ¾ cup Pure maple syrup
- ¾ cup Dark brown sugar
- ¾ Light corn syrup
- 2 ounces Unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp Kosher/Sea salt
- 3 ounces, Pecan halves, chopped
- 1 cup Fresh cranberries
- Line individual (3") pie pans or 1 (9") pie pan with homemade or store bought pie crust. For individual pies, I use a 5" round cookie cutter to punch out rolled dough. I press it into my aluminium pie pans and trim sides with a sharp knife. Using a fork, gently press along sides to create border.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes until dough is chilled.
- Combine maple syrup, brown sugar, corn syrup and butter in saucepan.
- Heat mixture until butter is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Remove from heat and pour into medium size bowl.
- Let cool at room temperature for 20-30 minutes.
- Whisk in eggs, vanilla and salt.
- Divide chopped pecans and cranberries into individual chilled pie shells. If using a 9" pie shell, add entire amount of cranberries and pecans.
- Pour filling, just below the rim of the pie shell.
- Place inside a preheated 350 degree oven.
- For individual pies, bake for 30 minutes. For 9" pie, bake for 50-60 minutes. Pies will be slightly puffed and bubbly.
- Let cool at room temperature.
- Serve with sweetened whipped cream or vanilla bean ice cream.
Keywords: pecans, pie, thanksgiving, maple, cranberry