Your party isn't complete unless you have these puff pastry hot dogs on the table. Made with just three ingredients, these juicy beef hot dogs are wrapped with flaky puff pastry, sprinkled with everything bagel seasoning and baked until golden brown.
I serve them with an easy homemade honey mustard sauce.
If you are familiar with pigs in a blanket, then you will absolutely love these puff pastry hot dogs. This elevated version is great as an after school snack or as an appetizer for your next family gathering.
These delicious little piggies will bring you right back to your childhood!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Crowd pleaser- Kids and adults will go nuts over this recipe. These wrapped hot dogs are great for game day, movie night or as an afternoon snack.
- Simple to make- With just 3 ingredients, these pigs in a blanket take no time to make.
- Easy make ahead appetizer- These can be prepared and wrapped in plastic up to 24 hours ahead. Just pop them in the oven and serve.
- Customizable- Feel free to stuff these with your favorite spread or a sprinkling of cheese. You can even get fancy and add fresh herbs or brush them with garlic butter. The variations are endless.
- Puff pastry- This flaky, laminated dough can be found inside the freezer section at your local grocery store. It typically comes in a pack of two. I use just 1 sheet for this recipe. Thaw the puff pastry inside the refrigerator overnight or thaw at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Hot dogs- I am a big fan of Nathan Hot Dogs. They're juicy and have a nice snap once they are baked. Feel free to use your favorite hot dog brand.
- Mustard Sauce (optional): If you love hot dogs with mustard, make sure to try this sauce. It's made with dijon mustard, dry mustard powder, mayo, apple cider vinegar, honey and a touch of cayenne pepper.
- Egg wash- Combine 1 egg with 1 tablespoon of water and brush on top of the raw puff pastry. It gives the dough a nice sheen and golden color when it is baked.
- Everything bagel seasoning- This flavorful blend of sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dried onion, sea salt flakes, and dried garlic can be found at Trader Joe's.
Step By Step Ingredients
STEP 1: Cut puff pastry. On a clean surface, unfold the puff pastry sheet. Using a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut dough into 1" strips.
STEP 2: Wrap the hot dogs. Dry off the hot dogs with a paper towel. Then, take a strip of puff pastry and wrap it around the hot dog. Place it onto a parchment lined sheet pan with the seem side down.
STEP 3: Brush with egg wash. In a small bowl, mix together egg and 1 tablespoon of water. Use a pastry brush to coat the tops and sides of the puff pastry. Then, sprinkle with everything bagel seasoning.
STEP 4: Bake the hot dogs. Preheat oven to 400°. Place the sheet of hot dogs in the center of the oven and bake for 18 minutes until the puff pastry is golden brown.
STEP 5: Make the mustard sauce (optional). In a small bowl, combine dry mustard powder, dijon mustard, mayo, apple cider vinegar, honey, and cayenne pepper. Then, whisk until smooth.
- Cheese stuffed- If you can find them, swap out the traditional hot dogs for some cheese stuff sausages.
- Garlic butter- After baking, brush the puff pastry with some garlic infused butter to give it a delicious savory flavor.
- Fresh herbs- Before rolling, spread a thin layer of dijon mustard on to the puff pastry and sprinkle with fresh herbs, such as thyme, rosemary or oregano.
These little pigs are delicious all on their own but sauces make everything so much more fun and delicious. Here are some sauces you can serve with these wrapped hot dogs.
- Yellow mustard
- Bbq sauce
- Ranch dressing
- Nacho cheese sauce
- Buffalo sauce
Expert Baking Tips
Make sure to thaw your puff pastry before unfolding to prevent it from cracking and tearing.
Don't forget to pat the hot dogs dry to prevent the dough from getting soggy. This will help the puff pastry maintain its crispy and flaky texture as it bakes.
Brush on the egg wash. The purpose of this is to help give the puff pastry a beautiful golden color, as well as a nice shine. Don't skip this step.
Yes, you can. Wrap the hot dogs with puff pastry and leave off the egg wash until you are ready to bake. Keep them wrapped in plastic to prevent the dough from drying out. You can also make the sauce ahead of time to allow the flavors to blend together.
These wrapped hot dogs bake up very quickly. I suggest baking them right before your guests arrive for the best texture and flavor. You can also keep them warm inside a low oven at 200° or inside a slow cooker.
If you want to make these bite size, you can definitely cut the sausages in half and wrap them with a smaller piece of puff pastry.
Storing and Reheating
These puff pastry hot dogs are best served warm or at room temperature the day they are made. But leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Place leftover hot dogs onto a baking sheet. Bake in a 350° oven for 8-10 minutes until the puff pastry is crisp and warmed though.
Other Appetizer Recipes To Try
If you decide to try this recipe, please make sure to leave a STAR RATING on the recipe card and leave a comment below. I hope you enjoy this recipe!
Puff Pastry Hot Dogs
Puff Pastry Hot Dogs
- 1 sheet Frozen puff pastry thawed and cut into 1" strips lengthwise
- 9 Hot dogs patted dry
- 1 Egg
- 1 tablespoon Water
- 3 tablespoon Everything bagel seasoning
Honey Mustard Sauce (optional)
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup Honey
- 1 tablespoon Dry mustard powder
- ¼ cup Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
Puff Pastry Hot Dogs
- On a clean surface, unfold the puff pastry sheet. Using a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut dough into 1" strips lengthwise.
- Dry off the hot dogs with a paper towel. Then, take a strip of puff pastry and wrap it around the hot dog. Place it onto a parchment lined sheet pan with the seem side down.
- In a small bowl, mix together egg and 1 tablespoon of water. Use a pastry brush to coat the tops and sides of the puff pastry. Then, sprinkle with everything bagel seasoning.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place the sheet of hot dogs in the center of the oven and bake for 18 minutes until the puff pastry is golden brown.
Honey Mustard Sauce
- In a small bowl, combine dry mustard powder, dijon mustard, mayo, apple cider vinegar, honey, and cayenne pepper. Then, whisk until smooth.