Sally's Worm's Wart Soup is a fun twist on the classic broccoli and cheddar soup. It's made with fresh broccoli and sharp cheddar cheese. It also has a few surprise ingredients, such as, ground mustard and cream cheese that make it extra delicious.
What's this, what's this? The Nightmare Before Christmas is celebrating 28 years today! This magical tale of where spooky meets merry has become a favorite to so many, including myself. I can't imagine the Halloween season without our beloved Pumpkin King.
Sally's Worm's Wart Soup was the inspiration behind this screamingly good broccoli and cheddar soup. Since fall weather is finally happening here in California, this is the perfect soup to jump start soup season.
Broccoli Cheese Soup Ingredients
- Butter always has that robust flavor and I really love sauteeing the onions and garlic in it. It creates a silky texture and adds more depth and flavor than olive oil does.
- Onion and Garlic are typically the first ingredients inside most of my soups. They give this soup it's savory base. I roughly chop them since we are placing everything inside the blender.
- Broccoli, lots of broccoli. I use the florets and stalks which I peel with a vegetable peeler. This is optional. If you prefer to use only florets, just discard the stalks or use them for something else.
- Ground Mustard adds just the right amount of tang to this soup and really works well with the cheddar cheese. I can't explain it. It just works!
- Chicken Stock brings it all together. You can opt to use water, but I think chicken stock has more flavor and is relatively inexpensive so why skimp.
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese has a strong cheddar flavor and will help make this soup nice and creamy. I like to grate my own cheese since pre-shredded cheeses are coated with powder and can affect the consistency and texture.
- Cream Cheese is my secret ingredient. It really combines everything and adds a nice tang to the soup.
I love to add toppings to my soups not only for added flavor but also to make it more filling. My husband isn't one for soups unless they are hearty and I find by adding extra toppings, helps make it more filling. I mean come on, who doesn't love toppings on any type of food. It's just more fun!
Here are some ideas:
- Homemade Croutons: I simply take some day-old bread, cut them into small cubes and toss them with some olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake them in a 350 degree oven until they are golden brown. Once out of the oven, I may sprinkle some grated parmesan cheese if I'm feeling fancy!
- Extra Cheddar Cheese: I love garnishing with ingredients that are actually inside the dish and I also love the orange color it adds for presentation.
- Applewood Smoked Bacon: I'm a bacon girl if you don't know by now. I love the combination of crispy bacon, cheese and broccoli. It also gives it a nice salty kick to round everything out nicely.
- Fresh Chives or Scallions: Adding some fresh herbs or greenery is a simple way to garnish your dishes and makes them more attractive.
Sally's worm's wart soup is a screamingly delicious take on the traditional broccoli and cheddar soup. Made with loads of fresh broccoli, sharp cheddar cheese and a surprise ingredient...cream cheese!
- 3 Tbsp Unsalted butter
- 1 Medium size yellow onion (roughly chopped)
- 3 Cloves garlic
- 5 cups Fresh broccoli florets, rinsed and chopped
- 1 tsp Ground mustard
- 4 cups Chicken stock
- 2 ½ cups Sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- Kosher Salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat butter in large pot. Add chopped onions and garlic and cook for 4-5 minutes until translucent.
- Add stock and ground mustard.
- Once the stock comes to a boil, add broccoli florets.
- Cover and cook until broccoli turns a bright green color, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add cheddar cheese and cream cheese. Stir until melted.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove soup from stove and carefully ladle into blender. Do not fill the blender completely or else you will have a big hot mess. I like to do this in two batches.
- Serve inside cauldron soup bowls and top with desired toppings.
Keywords: worm's wart soup, broccoli cheddar soup