Fresh watermelon pizza is without a doubt the most refreshing treat on a hot summer day. Not only is it healthy but it's also a fun treat to serve at those summer pool parties and bbq's.
Watermelon is one of those things I look forward to once summer approaches. I love this recipe so much because it incorporates some of my favorite fruits such as fresh berries, cherries and peaches.
What Kind of Toppings Can You Use
What I love about this watermelon pizza is how creative you can be. Here is a list of some of my favorites.
- Fresh berries: Summertime is peak season to enjoy these little gems.
- Fresh pineapple: I love to add little bits of golden pineapple, not only for it's sweet flavor but it's beautiful yellow color.
- Sliced peaches: Nothing screams summer like fresh peaches. It's the perfect fruit to compliment our watermelon pizza.
- Bing cherries: Cherries are the perfect fruit to add a pop of color and flavor.
- Strawberry Yogurt: Sometimes I love to spread a thin layer of yogurt on top of the watermelon before adding the fruit toppings.
- Shredded coconut: Sprinkle some toasted sweetened coconut to add a bit of texture.
- Fresh Mint: Adding a touch of mint gives this an extra boost of freshness.
- Honey: Drizzle a little bit of honey to elevate those fruit flavors.
- Roasted Nuts: Nuts add just the right amount of crunch. My favorites are macadamia nuts and pistachios.
- Edible Flowers: Pansies, impatients, mums and roses are all wonderful choices to add some extra color and dimension.
Can I Make This Ahead of Time
Yes, absolutely! This watermelon pizza is the perfect make ahead dessert. Just make sure to wrap up your watermelon pizza with plastic wrap to preserve the freshness. If using nuts or toasted coconut, hold off on dressing it until you are ready to serve.Print
This thirst quenching watermelon pizza is the most refreshing treat on a hot summer day. Dressed up with fresh berries, sweet pineapple, golden peaches and sprinkled with toasted coconut and fresh mint. Bring this delightful dessert to your next pool party or summer bbq.
- 1 ripe seedless watermelon
- Fresh berries (raspberries, blackberries and blueberries)
- Strawberries, hulled and cut into Mickey shape using a small Mickey cookie cutter
- Pineapple, cut into small chunks
- Bing cherries, cut in half and seeds removed
- Yellow peaches, sliced ¼" thick
- Sweetened coconut, toasted until light golden brown
- Fresh mint leaves, chiffonade
- Slice watermelon, about 2-3" thick. Cut into wedges. Set a couple wedges aside to cut some cute Mickey shapes to go on top.
- Place watermelon onto serving board or platter.
- Decorate with assorted fresh fruit.
- Garnish with toasted coconut and fresh mint.
- Refrigerate until serving.
Keywords: watermelon pizza, fruit pizza