Extra moist and perfectly spiced pumpkin bread with cream cheese frosting. It's the perfect treat to enjoy on a cool fall morning with a cup of a tea.
Nothing screams fall like this pumpkin bread with cream cheese frosting. Not only is this cake soft and tender but it's bursting with pumpkin flavor. It's flavored with warm fall spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg and clove.
I top it off with a rich and creamy homemade cream cheese frosting and a light dusting of warm cinnamon. I pipe small Mickey shaped pumpkins on top of each square to create the most magical pumpkin patch.
If you're looking for more fall recipes to try this season, make sure to check out my Maple Pecan Pie with Cranberries and Strawberry Apple Pie.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Easy to make- This fast and easy recipe doesn't even require a mixer. All you need is a large bowl and whisk and you are set to go.
- Super moist- I use oil in this recipe rather than butter which keeps the cake extra moist.
- Pumpkin flavor- We all hate recipes that say "pumpkin" but kind of lacks in flavor. This recipe uses a good amount of pumpkin puree and has a strong pumpkin flavor.
- Warm autumn spices- I use cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and ginger. All the best fall spices.
- Cream cheese frosting- My homemade cream cheese frosting is rich and creamy and lends the perfect tang for this pumpkin spice bread. The two are a match made in heaven.
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, scroll down to the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- Pumpkin puree- Make sure to look at the label and use pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling.
- Oil- I use canola oil but you can also use vegetable oil.
- Leavening- I use both baking soda and baking powder.
- Eggs- Use large eggs and pull them from the refrigerator 2 hours before baking.
- All purpose flour- I always sift my flour to prevent any lumps from forming inside my batter.
- Spices- I use cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and ground ginger.
- Vanilla extract- For the best flavor, use pure vanilla extract.
- Cream cheese- Use full fat cream cheese. Pull from the refrigerator 2 hours before mixing.
- Powdered sugar- Always sift your powdered sugar to get out all the lumps so you get a smooth frosting.
- Butter- I use softened unsalted butter. To soften, leave at room temperature for 2 hours before you make the frosting.
Step By Step Ingredients
STEP 1: Sift the dry ingredients. In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices.
STEP 2: Combine wet ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine eggs, oil, vanilla, water and pumpkin puree.
STEP 3: Mix wet and dry ingredients. Next, add egg mixture into the flour mixture and whisk until smooth and just combined. Do not over mix.
STEP 4: Pour batter. Grease 9x13 baking pan. Then, pour batter into pan.
STEP 5: Bake the pumpkin bread. Bake the pumpkin bread in a 350℉ for 45-50 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting.
STEP 6. Make cream cheese frosting. While the pumpkin bread is baking in the oven, make the cream cheese frosting. Combine softened cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter and vanilla extract. With a handheld mixer, beat until smooth and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
STEP 7. Frost pumpkin bread. Using an off set spatula or butter knife, spread cream cheese frosting on top of the cooled pumpkin bread. Then, dust lightly with ground cinnamon. Decorate with Mickey shaped buttercream pumpkins (optional).
Expert Baking Tips
This pumpkin bread is a great make ahead recipe. I prefer to let it sit overnight to allow the flavors to intensify and the bread to become even more moist.
To create clean slices, use a serrated knife. If I'm cutting multiple pieces, I like to dip my knife in warm water and wipe it clean after each slice.
Pumpkin bread is even better with add-ins. Try dried fruits, chopped nuts, mini chocolate chips or even fresh cranberries.
Yes you can. Make sure to choose a smaller baking pumpkin like sugar pumpkins. Roast it inside the oven and puree inside a food processor.
The best way to test if your pumpkin bread is done is by using a toothpick and inserting it in the center of the cake. A finished pumpkin bread will also puff up and develop a crack down the center. This is a good indication it has cooked all the way through.
You absolutely can. Follow the same procedure and bake them inside a muffin pan for 18-20 minutes.
Storing and Freezing
Store this pumpkin bread with cream cheese frosting in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 days. To store the cake for longer, place it inside the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
You can wrap the entire pan or individual slices with plastic. Place inside a Ziplock freezer bag to keep it moist and avoid freezer burn. Freeze for up to 3 months.
To thaw, place inside the refrigerator overnight or let sit at room temperature for a couple of hours.
More Recipes To Try
Make sure to leave a STAR REVIEW if you loved this recipe. Make sure to tag me on Instagram @theepicureanmouse. To get more family-fun recipes, follow me on Pinterest.
Pumpkin Bread with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3 ¾ cup All purpose flour
- 3 ¼ cup White granulated sugar
- ½ tsp Baking powder
- 2 ¼ tsp Baking soda
- 1 ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 4 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 2 ¼ teaspoon Ground nutmeg
- 1 ¼ teaspoon Ground cloves
- 2 teaspoon Ground ginger
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp Canola oil
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoon Water
- 4 Eggs
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ cups Pumpkin puree
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 24 oz Cream cheese softened
- 3 oz Unsalted butter softened
- 10 oz Powdered sugar sifted
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- Orange frosting for Mickey pumpkins
- Green frosting for leaves
- Brown frosting for stem
- 24 Orange mini M&M's for Mickey ears
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 9x13 baking pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, sift all dry ingredients; flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices). In a separate bowl, combine sugar, eggs, water and oil. Whisk until the sugar dissolves. Stir in pumpkin puree. Mix until combined.
- Slowly pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Continuously whisk to prevent lumps from forming. Stir until smooth.
- Pour batter into greased baking pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes until toothpick is inserted in the center and comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool at room temperature before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Inside a medium size bowl, add softened cream cheese, softened butter, sifted powder sugar and vanilla extract. Using a hand held mixer, beat for 2-3 minutes until fluffy and smooth. Spread evenly over cooled pumpkin bread. Lightly dust with cinnamon (optional).
- You can use homemade frosting or store bought. Place a small amount of frosting inside 3 separate bowls. Add a couple drops of colored gel to each bowl (orange, brown and green). Mix until you achieve the desired color.
- Place frosting into 3 separate piping bags. For the pumpkins I use Ateco tip # 867. For the leaves, tip # 352, and tip #3 for the stem and vines. Add two orange M&M's for Mickey's ears.
Leave a Reply