Sour cream and chive dip is a delicious and creamy dip to serve with fresh-cut veggies or crispy potato chips. To entice your kiddos to eat their greens, create this Mike Wazowski vegetable board to go alongside it.
This no fuss dip combines sweet caramelized shallots, garlic, fresh chives, lemon juice for a little zing and lots of savory seasonings for loads of flavor in each bite.
This sour cream and chive dip is a crowd pleaser and perfect for holidays and gatherings. Not only is this a healthy snack, it's also gluten free and vegetarian.
Did I mention how easy it is to make? If you're crunched for time but still want to serve a delicious and healthy snack, this oniony dip is the one for you.
WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS
- Great for parties and gatherings. This dip can be made in advance and actually tastes better as it sits and all the flavors meld together.
- Easy to make. With just a few steps and ingredients, this dip takes less than 20 minutes to prepare.
- Gluten-free. It's always a good idea to have options when hosting a party and being that this dip is naturally gluten-free, it can accommodate any of your guests who have restrictions.
- Full of flavor. This recipe combines caramelized shallots, garlic, fresh chives, onion and mustard powder to help elevate all those flavors.
- Fresh chives- They are usually sold in a bunch at the grocery store. Make sure to cut them fine.
- Shallots- I use two in this recipe and cut them very fine. Once they are sautéed, they become so sweet and add a great onion flavor to this dip.
- Garlic- Mince the garlic and add it after the onions are caramelized so they do not burn.
- Sour cream- Use full-fat for flavor and creaminess.
- Mustard powder- Adds a little kick, but can be left out if you do not have any on hand.
- Lemon juice- I use one full lemon to add a bit of acid and zing to this dip.
- Onion powder- Adds an extra dose of onion flavor.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
STEP 1: Cook shallots and garlic. Place skillet over medium-high heat and add oil. Once hot, add minced shallots. Sauté until caramelized, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
STEP 2: Combine ingredients. In a large bowl, add sour cream, mustard powder, finely chopped chives, lemon juice, onion powder and cooled shallots and garlic. Fold together until well-blended. Season with salt.
STEP 3: Chill dip. Spoon into serving bowl and refrigerate for 2 hours. This allows the dip to get cold and also the flavors to intensify.
STEP 4: Serve dip. Place dip onto a platter or board and serve with fresh-cut veggies or potato chips.
If you're interested in recreating this Mike Wazowski vegetable board, here is how to make it.
- Gather vegetables. Since our little monster is green, I used a variety of green vegetables. Get creative and use different shades of green, sizes and textures.
- Assemble. There is no right or wrong way to place your veggies but I divided my round board into quarters just to make it easy and cohesive. Layer the vegetables to add some dimension. For his horns, I sliced a couple pieces of green bell pepper and have them stick out on top.
- Eyeball. To make his eyeball, add a slice of cucumber on top of the sour cream dip, followed by a black olive, cut in half. Lastly, add a tiny dollop of sour cream for the white detail in his corner eye.
- Mouth. I made his mouth with sliced black olives and cauliflower florets.
To allow all the flavors time to blend together, make this dip ahead of time. You can prepare this dip the night before or up to 2 hours before serving.
Make sure to add the garlic after the onions have caramelized. Since garlic cooks rather quickly, adding it towards the end will make sure it doesn't burn.
This dip is very versatile and you can add in whatever ingredients you like. Bacon bits, shredded cheese, and jalapeños are some delicious options.
Yes, you can use light sour cream or substitute 1 cup of the sour cream for 1 cup of Greek yogurt.
You can enjoy this dip with tortilla chips, pretzels, potato chips, or homemade baked potato wedges.
STORING AND FREEZING
Store this sour cream and chive dip in an airtight container for up to 4-5 days inside the refrigerator.
I do not recommend freezing this dip since dairy tends to not hold up very well inside the refrigerator.
OTHER DELICIOUS SNACKS TO TRY
Sour Cream and Chive Dip
Sour Cream and Chive Dip
- 16 oz Sour cream
- 2 each Shallots minced fine
- 2 cloves Garlic minced fine
- ¼ cup Fresh chives minced fine
- 1 teaspoon Mustard powder
- 1 each Lemon juiced
- 1 teaspoon Onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
Sour cream and Chive Dip
- Place skillet over medium-high heat; add oil. Once oil is heated, add minced shallots. Cook for 3-4 minute until caramelized.
- Stir in garlic and saute for an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine sour cream, mustard powder, chives, lemon juice, onion powder and salt. Mix together until well-blended.
- Stir in cooled shallots and garlic. Mix until combined. Season with salt and pour into serving bowl. Refrigerate for 2 hours to allow flavors to blend together.
- Serve with fresh-cut vegetables of potato chips.