This rich and buttery sourdough garlic bread is loaded with so much delicious garlic flavor. Full of herbs, roasted garlic, and nutty parmesan cheese. It's the ultimate side dish and is so easy to make.
You can never go wrong with homemade sourdough garlic bread. Just imagine, warm, crispy bread, followed by the most delicious garlic herb butter and gooey parmesan cheese.
It's perfect on its own or served with zesty marinara sauce.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Garlic Herb Butter- This infused butter has roasted garlic as well as garlic powder to give you the ultimate garlic bread. I also add Italian seasoning and fresh parsley to help elevate all the flavors.
- Ultimate side dish- Serve this bread with a variety of main dishes. From pasta, to stews, and soups. It's the perfect side dish.
- Easy to make- This bread is a breeze to make and can be made ahead of time.
- Great for gatherings- Put this garlic bread in the center of the table and let everyone pull it apart. Serve it with marinara sauce and you have one delicious appetizer.
- Sourdough bread- Grab your favorite unsliced sourdough loaf.
- Garlic- I use fresh garlic cloves as well as garlic powder in this recipe.
- Italian seasoning- You can use store bought or mix together equal parts dried basil, oregano and parsley.
- Butter- Use unsalted butter to control the level of salt.
- Salt- Use a good flaky sea salt for the best flavor.
- Fresh parsley- I use Italian flat leaf parsley.
- Cheese- For this recipe, I used parmesan cheese.
Step By Step Ingredients
STEP 1: Slice bread. First, preheat oven to 350℉. Next, slice the bread into 1 inch slices, being careful not to slice all the way through the bread. Place the loaf onto a parchment or foil lined sheet pan.
STEP 2: Roast garlic. Add the garlic cloves and red pepper flakes to a small ramekin. Cover with olive oil. Then, place inside oven and cook for 20-25 minutes until the garlic is fork tender. Let cool completely.
Remove garlic from oil (reserve oil for later use.). Using a fork, smash garlic cloves.
STEP 3: Make garlic herb butter. In a small bowl, combine softened butter, cooked garlic, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, parsley, and parmesan cheese. Season with salt.
STEP 4: Coat bread. Using a small offset spatula generously spread mixture into all the slits of the bread.
STEP 5: Bake bread. Wrap bread in foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
Use a sharp serrated knife when cutting your bread for the best results.
Make sure not to cut all the way down when you're slicing the bread or else it will come apart. Stop as soon as you feel the bottom of the crust.
Feel free to substitute the parmesan for your favorite cheese. Cheddar, Mozzarella or Fontina cheese are great choices.
You can assemble the garlic bread 4 hours in advance to save on time. Wrap the bread in plastic wrap and refrigerate until you're ready to bake. Add a few extra minutes to the baking time.
French bread or Ciabatta are great crusty breads. Any type of fresh loaf bread will do just fine.
Yes you can. Simply swap out the butter for vegan butter and replace the cheese with a substitute or remove it completely. It will still taste delicious.
No, I do not recommend using minced garlic from the jar. Prepared garlic have other additives and can affect the overall flavor. Make sure to use fresh garlic cloves for the best results.
Storing and Freezing
This sourdough garlic bread is best enjoyed as soon as it comes out of the oven. But if you happen to have leftovers, place the bread inside an airtight container or tightly wrap with plastic wrap to prevent the bread from drying out. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 days.
To reheat, loosely wrap with foil. Heat inside a 350℉ toaster oven for 10-12 minutes until crisp and warmed through.
I do not recommend freezing any leftover garlic bread.
Other Quick and Easy Recipes To Try
If you decide to try this recipe, please make sure to leave a STAR RATING on the recipe card and leave a comment below. I hope you enjoy this recipe!
Sourdough Garlic Bread
- 14 oz Sourdough Loaf
- 10 tablespoon Butter unsalted
- 12 cloves Garlic peeled and finely minced
- 2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon Red pepper flakes optional
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 2 tablespoon Parsley roughly chopped, plus more for garnish
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- ¼ teaspoon Sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- Next, slice the bread into 1 inch slices, being careful not to slice all the way through the bread. Place the loaf onto a parchment or foil lined sheet pan.
- Add the garlic cloves and red pepper flakes to a small ramekin. Cover with olive oil. Place inside oven and cook for 20-25 minutes until the garlic is fork tender. Let cool completely.
- Remove garlic from oil (reserve oil for later use.). Using a fork, smash garlic cloves.
- In a small bowl, combine softened butter, cooked garlic, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, parsley, and parmesan cheese. Season with salt.
- Using a small offset spatula, generously spread mixture into all the slits of the bread.
- Wrap bread in foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes.