My go to weeknight dinner-Spicy Salmon Bowl. Crispy, marinated chunks of salmon, served over a bowl of steamed rice and fresh crunchy vegetables. Don't forget the super delicious spicy mayo that gets drizzled on top!
This spicy salmon bowl is full of delicious Asian flavors. It has the perfect balance of protein, healthy grains and lots of yummy veggies. It's completely customizable and so easy to make.
If you're in a pinch and need a quick and delicious weeknight recipe, make sure to try my Mickey Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese and Creamy Mascarpone Tomato Sauce.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Easy to make- This rice bowl comes together in less than 30 minutes and is a great meal for those busy weeknights.
- Make ahead- This recipe is perfect for meal prepping. You can prepare all the ingredients in advance.
- Customizable- Feel free to add your favorite veggies or swap out the rice for greens or other grains.
- Healthy- Not only does this recipe taste delicious, but it has all the nutrition you need in a meal. Omega-3 fatty acids, along with vitamin packed veggies and healthy grains.
What Is A Salmon Rice Bowl
This salmon rice bowl is the best dish when you're craving all those delicious flavors you find inside a sushi roll. It's a complete balanced meal inside a single bowl. Also, did I mention how incredibly easy it is to make!
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, scroll down to the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- Salmon- I use two center-cut salmon fillets with the skin off. You can use fresh or frozen salmon for this recipe. Make sure to completely thaw your salmon before cooking.
- Rice- I use Jasmine rice but feel free to use brown rice for an even healthier version.
- Carrots- Julienne or thinly sliced.
- Edamame- You can find fresh edamame at the grocery store inside the produce section.
- Avocado- Adds a great creamy texture. Make sure they are ripe.
- Cucumbers- I love English cucumbers! I leave the skin on for some added color and slice them about ¼" thick.
- Mayo- Use full fat or olive oil based.
- Sriracha- This thick hot sauce can be found inside the Asian food section at the grocery store.
- Sesame seeds- I use both black and white sesame seeds. You can buy them already toasted or toast them yourself inside a dry skillet.
- Green onions- For some added color and extra flavor, I julienne fresh green onions and sprinkle them on top.
Step By Step Instructions
STEP 1: Prepare veggies. Slice cucumbers, carrots, green onions and avocados.
STEP 2: Make spicy mayo. Whisk together mayo, Sriracha, lime juice and salt. Refrigerate until ready to use.
STEP 3: Season salmon. Pat salmon dry with a paper towel and cut into 1" cubes. Then, in a small bowl, toss together cubed salmon, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, brown sugar, smoked paprika, pepper and chipotle chili powder. Make sure all the salmon pieces are evenly coated.
STEP 4: Cook salmon. Heat oil inside a large skillet. Once the oil is hot, add salmon. Cook for 2 minutes on each side. Make sure the heat is on high so your salmon browns quickly.
STEP 5: Assemble rice bowls. Add rice into the bottom of each bowl. Top with crispy salmon and prepared veggies.
Drizzle a generous amount of spicy mayo over all the ingredients. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and green onions.
Make sure to not over cook your salmon. Since the salmon is cut into small cubes, it will cook very quickly. A good way to avoid doing this is to heat up your pan and oil until it is very hot. This will help give the salmon a nice crust in a short amount of time without drying it out.
Prep veggies ahead of time. If you have extra time the night before or in the morning, slice up your veggies (with the exception of the avocado) and have them ready for assembly. Once these items are done, it's just about cooking the salmon and mixing the sauce.
Don't toss it out just yet! This recipe is a great way to combine leftover rice, quinoa or other grains from last nights dinner. You can also use up those salad greens in the fridge to create a low carb version.
Season the salmon just before you're ready to cook it. If you season it too soon before cooking, the salt will begin to break down the proteins in the salmon and draw the moisture out of the fish.
Yes! Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees and place salmon in a single layer. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until desired doneness.
Yes you can! Swap out the rice for cauliflower rice or use a variety of fresh greens such as kale, spinach or spring mix.
Store this spicy salmon bowl inside an airtight container or cover the bowl tightly with cling wrap. Store inside the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat, place salmon and rice inside the microwave and heat for 1 to 1 ½ minutes or until completely warmed through. Then, assemble by arranging any leftover veggies and dressing with spicy mayo.
Other Recipes To Try
Make sure to leave a STAR REVIEW if you loved this recipe.
Make sure to tag me on Instagram @theepicureanmouse. To get more family-fun recipes, follow me on Pinterest.
Spicy Salmon Bowl
- 8 oz Salmon fillet, skin off
- 1 tsp Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon Onion powder
- ½ teaspoon Brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon Smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon Chipotle chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon Ground pepper
- 2 tablespoon Olive oil
- ¼ cup Mayo
- 2 tablespoon Sriracha
- 2 teaspoon Lime juice fresh
- pinch Salt
- 2 cups Jasmine rice (or any kind of grain) cooked
- 1 Avocado large, ripe and sliced
- ⅔ cup English cucumber sliced ¼"
- ⅔ cup Carrots julienned
- ⅔ cup Edamame cooked
- 2 Green onions sliced thin
- Black and white sesame seeds toasted
- Remove skin from salmon. Dice into 1" cubes. In a small bowl, mix together salmon and dried spices. Make sure all of the salmon pieces are evenly coated.
- Heat oil inside a large nonstick skillet. When the oil is hot, add salmon. Leave for 2 minutes so that it begins to caramelize and get a nice crust. Gently turn over and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayo, Sriracha, lime juice and salt. Place inside a squeeze bottle to make it easier to drizzle on top (optional).
- Place the cooked rice inside two large bowls. Top with crispy salmon and arrange veggies. Drizzle with spicy mayo and garnish with toasted sesame seeds and sliced green onions. Serve immediately.
Leave a Reply