This super simple pepperoni flatbread pizza bakes up in just 10 minutes. Chewy store-bought flatbread brushed with homemade garlic herb oil, then topped off with pizza sauce, melted mozzarella, parmesan cheese, crispy pepperoni and fresh basil.
Simple, delicious recipes like this pepperoni flatbread pizza is perfect for those busy nights when you need something quick and easy on the table. It's savory, cheesy, with a touch of spice from the pepperoni and combines all the summer flavors we love.
It's quicker than homemade pizza, kid-friendly and the best part is you can customize it however you like!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Easier than homemade pizza- This recipe uses store-bought flatbread. These small flatbreads are soft and chewy with crispy edges once they are baked. They're the perfect base for our pizzas!
- Italian cheeses- I use a combination of shredded mozzarella, fresh mozzarella balls and parmesan cheese, which makes these flatbreads extra gooey.
- Garlic herb oil- To help elevate the flavors in this pizza, I make a quick and easy garlic and herb infused olive oil, which I then brush on top of the flatbread. It adds so much flavor!
- Kid-friendly- The kids will love to assemble their own flatbread pizza. So get them involved and have fun!
- Flatbread- I used this brand. But any type of flatbread or Naan will work.
- Garlic- Use fresh garlic for the best flavor. Skip the jarred stuff.
- Olive oil- Use a high quality extra virgin olive oil.
- Herbs- I use dried thyme, basil, oregano and rosemary.
- Red pepper flakes (optional)- This adds a touch of heat to the herb oil. If you aren't a fan, just skip it.
- Lemon juice- Fresh lemon just is best.
- Parmesan cheese- You can buy it grated or grate it by hand.
- Mozzarella- I use shredded mozzarella and mini mozzarella balls.
- Pizza sauce- Use your favorite brand.
- Pepperoni- Use a good quality pepperoni for the best flavor. Alternatively, you can use turkey pepperoni to cut back on the fat and grease.
- Basil- Use fresh basil for garnish. You can use the tips, leaves or slice thin strips, like a chiffonade.
Step By Step Instructions
STEP 1: Make herb oil. In a small bowl, add dried herbs and spices. Pour in the olive oil and stir. Then, add minced garlic, lemon juice and parmesan cheese. Mix until combined.
STEP 2: Brush flatbread. Using a pastry brush, brush each flatbread with herb oil.
STEP 3: Add pizza sauce. Spoon sauce onto each flatbread. Use the back of your spoon to spread the sauce all the way to the edge of your flatbread.
STEP 4: Sprinkle with cheese. Top each flatbread with shredded mozzarella and grated parmesan cheese.
STEP 5: Add toppings. Place pepperoni and mozzarella balls onto each flatbread. Then, drizzle with additional herb oil.
STEP 6: Bake flatbread. Preheat oven to 400°. Bake for 10-12 minutes until the cheese is bubbling. Slice into 3-4 pieces and garnish with fresh basil.
Expert Baking Tips
Hand grate your cheese. It melts and tastes so much better than pre-shredded cheese. Pre-shredded cheese contains additives to prevent the cheese from clumping, which doesn't allow it to melt well. I know it's more work, but trust me, it's worth it.
Let your pizza rest for 2-3 minutes before slicing. This will allow the cheese to set, preventing it from sliding off your flatbread as soon as you cut it.
Garnish your pizza after it finishes baking. Fresh basil should go on the pizza once it comes out of the oven and rests for a couple minutes. This prevents the basil leaves from turning black and shriveling up.
The key difference between flatbread and pizza is that flatbread is typically unleavened whereas pizza contains yeast.
One of my favorite things to eat with pizza is salad. Caesar salad, mixed greens with balsamic or arugula salad with a lemon vinaigrette are all delicious options.
Yes, you can. Fully assemble your pizzas and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until you are ready to bake. Bake as directed and garnish with fresh basil.
Storing and Reheating
Store this pepperoni flatbread inside an airtight container. Refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Reheating pizza in the oven is the easiest and best way. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and warm for 8-10 minutes until the cheese is gooey again and the bread is completely warmed through.
More Easy Weeknight Recipes To Try
Pepperoni Flatbread Pizza
- ½ cup Extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon Dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon Dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon Dried rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon Dried oregano
- Pinch Red pepper flakes
- 1 Garlic clove finely minced
- ½ teaspoon Lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese grated
- Salt and pepper
- 4 Flatbread
- 1 cup Shredded mozzarella divided
- ½ cup Grated parmesan cheese divided
- ⅔ cup Pizza sauce
- 20 Pepperoni slices
- 12 Mini mozzarella balls whole or torn in half
- Fresh basil leaves or chiffonade
- In a small bowl, add dried herbs and spices. Pour in the olive oil and stir. Then, add minced garlic, lemon juice and parmesan cheese. Mix until combined.
- Using a pastry brush, brush each flatbread with herb oil.
- Spoon sauce onto each flatbread. Use the back of your spoon to spread the sauce all the way to the edge of your flatbread.
- Top each flatbread with shredded mozzarella and grated parmesan cheese.
- Place pepperoni and mozzarella balls onto each flatbread. Then, drizzle with additional herb oil.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Bake for 10-12 minutes until the cheese is bubbling. Slice into 3-4 pieces and garnish with fresh basil.
- Feel free to add more or less of each ingredient, depending on your personal preference.